Are YOU ready to discover YOUR unique story?
Thank you for visiting my website! My name is Mark A. Wentling and I am a seasoned professional genealogist with more than 20 years of experience. With my proven skills and expertise I’ve located family members past and present across the U.S., Canada and U.K. for clients, friends and family.
You can hire me through this website to help with your genealogical quest!
I am a current member of the Association for Professional Genealogists and abide by its standards for ethical professional conduct as well as by the Genealogical Proof Standard for research and evidence evaluation. (Never worked with a professional genealogist before? Check out APG’s handy guide about what to expect here.)
I hold a Master of Library Science degree with a speciality in archives. You can learn more about my research qualifications, publications, awards, projects I lead and organizations I am a part of on my about me page.
Begin your genealogy journey today!
Start by emailing a description of your goal, and the research you’ve already done, to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. An initial email consultation is free and will explain how I can help you climb your family tree and what you can expect from my services.
Want to know more? Read on below and elsewhere on this site to find out about:
- Project types I’m available for
- Specialities and interests (just a few!)
- Resources I have access to
- Lighthouse research service
- Old photo identification service
- Publication indexing service
Project types I am available for:
- Build a family tree—an open-ended project in which I research as far back on as many branches in as much depth as you allow time for within your allotted budget.
- Individual biographies—I investigate the in-depth story of an individual’s life using the time allotted within your budget.
- Brick walls—I focus my research and expertise on investigating a specific genealogical problem you need help on.
- Research strategies—I work with you to develop a plan for research that you will then undertake or through which I coach you.
- DNA testing and consultation—I help you select and take the right genealogical DNA test for your needs and/or help you interpret your results.
My specialties and interests:
These are just some of the topics I have particular experience with and interest in:
- House histories
- Land records
- Lighthouses & lighthouse keepers
- Lineage societies
- Lost relatives
- Military records
- Probate records and wills
While I am skilled at genealogy in many geographic locations, I particularly specialize in:
- New England
- New York (statewide), including expertise in my native Jefferson County
Resources I have access to:
I live in the Boston, Massachusetts area and have immediate access to some of the finest genealogical research libraries around, including:
- New England Historic Genealogical Society (Boston, MA)
- Massachusetts Historical Society (Boston, MA)
- Massachusetts State Archives (Boston, MA)
- Peabody-Essex Museum and Library (Salem, MA)
- National Archives and Records Administration – Boston branch (Waltham, MA)
- plus, local courthouses, churches, libraries, historical and genealogical societies where your ancestors lived
In addition, I am available for hire to travel to many key state repositories, including:
- Connecticut State Library & Archives (Hartford, CT)
- New York Genealogical & Biographical Society (New York City, NY)
- New York State Library & Archives (Albany, NY)
- Rhode Island State Library and Archives (Providence, RI)
- Rhode Island Historical Society (Providence, RI)
Travel to national research repositories in Washington, D.C., can also be arranged, such as:
- Daughters of the American Revolution Library (NSDAR)
- Library of Congress
- National Archives & Records Administration
In addition to access to premiere physical research collections, I maintain current subscriptions to leading online genealogical research databases, like Ancestry.com, GenealogyBank.com and Fold3.com.
Thank you for taking time to learn about my research services – I look forward to joining you on your genealogical adventure!